March 17, 2009

To capri, or not to capri...



I need a total style makeover.  Really.  When I worked, I think I dressed really stylish.  I loved getting dressed up in cute suites and dresses for work.  I just knew what looked good and how to wear things.  I have never been good at casual.  I have two modes:  dressy or sweats.  Now that I stay home, I am completely clueless on how to dress.  I just can't do casual!  I go to stores, try on a ton of things, and come home empty handed.  I still have gift cards from two years ago!  So I have been doing lots of research on classy, casual dressing.  Here lies the dilemma:  capri or no capris?  I think these above, the Cafe Capri from JCrew, are really cute.  However, every book and website I have visited on stylish dressing say that capris are a definite DON'T!!  They make short legs look shorter, butts look bigger, and calves horrible.  What do you wear in the summer if you don't wear shorts (and I do not wear shorts!)?  I love to wear dresses, but there are times when you just can't wear a dress.  What do you think?



Here are a few pics of Sophie eating organic strawberry applesauce all by herself.  We are all eating better, starting now!

5 comments:

Deidra said...

I love to wear capri pants. I have never really thought about the comments that was made about people who wear them, but after thinking it's true I notice people with short legs look shorter, butts look bigger, and calves horrible. WOW never thought of that. Now I think I might change my mind on wearing them. LOL Do you like preppy style clothing. I sometime have that same problem. Fashion has also and will also be a problem because it change all the time.

Mama P said...

I think capris are adorable and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Wear a casual pair of khaki capris with a tee and fitted cardigan and ponytail or a dressier pair with a designer top and heels. The sky's the limit with capris, in my opinion. Try Ann Taylor Loft for some great outfits that are perfect for stay at home mom's who don't want to be frumpy. They are a branch from regular Ann Taylor and are geared more towards a casual day. www.anntaylorloft.com.

Ouiser said...

You know what looks good on you. You always have. Try on the capris, and if you like them, buy one in every color.

Oh, and I'm not entirely sure Sophie is enjoying that applesauce. She looks positively miserable.

Amy Maze said...

I've heard those comments on capris too. Once on Oprah some stylist said nobody should ever wear capris! But, I figure I'm not a fashion model and don't follow all of the rules perfectly so I continue to wear them in the summer. The longer shorts (I don't know the technical name) they are making now are also an option. Since they don't cut you mid calf, but still cover your knee they are ok I guess? BTW...Love your new blog design!

Monogramchick said...

I'm a huge fan of skirts, paired with flip flops and a cute top they can be casual.

I love your blog, and plan to come back often :) What a precious daughter you have!